The Grand Hotel is located in the heart of Whangarei, Northland New Zealand. It is the only Hotel in the CBD. Conveniently located near the main bus station our rooms are all en suite and fully serviced. The Hotel offers bar and function facilities and affordable accommodation for the independent traveler. The original hotel, built in approximately 1870 burnt down completely in the 1890s and was rebuilt in 1900. The current building was originally called the Commercial Hotel and was re-named the Grand Hotel after the 1953 Royal Tour of New Zealand by HRH Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh who stayed in the hotel with their entourage. The balcony from where the Queen waved to her subjects is still a feature of the hotel.